Start From the Basics: How to Create a Home Improvement Marketing Strategy
Home improvement companies often face a high level of competition. It's not unusual for several home improvement companies to exist within the same geographic area. Not only that, they often have little to no marketing, which means that most of their leads come from word-of-mouth referrals. Sound familiar?
If your home improvement brand has been struggling to bring in business, you need a multichannel marketing strategy that will allow you to reach more customers, get the word out about your brand, and increase overall leads and sales.
Wondering how to generate leads for home improvement? Check out these important tips.
Identify Your Target Audience
Home improvement marketing starts with identifying the key demographics of your target audience.
Your target audience is the group of people that you want to reach: the specific types of customers who are most likely to need your home improvement services.
When you know who you need to market to, you can do a more effective job of finding them and creating marketing materials that will speak to them, raising the odds that you will successfully convert them.
You need to know the following:
- Where they're located. You will generally want to target a specific geographic area as a home improvement business.
- What their budget looks like. If you don't know what your target market's budget looks like, it can make it difficult to create materials geared toward the improvements they're most likely to make.
- What they need. What specific renovations do you focus on? What can your brand bring to the table, and which customers should choose you?
- Where to find them. You need to know where to focus your marketing efforts to create home improvement ads for the platforms your target customers are most likely to use.
The better you understand your target market, the better you can craft key ads in a way that will reach them.
Define Your Goals
Before creating or executing a marketing strategy, you need to have end goals in mind. What are you hoping to accomplish with your new home improvement marketing plan?
You may want to:
- Create more traffic to your website
- Increase traffic on your social media sites
- Gain X number of leads from a specific campaign
- Generate $X in sales
Carefully identify your short-term and long-term marketing goals for your home improvement business. The tactics in your marketing strategy need to align with your goals so that you know what you're hoping to accomplish and can measure the performance of your campaign.
Choose Your Marketing Mix
There are many marketing options when the time comes to put together your marketing mix. It can quickly get overwhelming. However, by clearly identifying the most valuable channels to your target market, you can better shape your home improvement marketing efforts.
You may want to consider the following:
- Radio advertising will help increase your reach and make more customers aware of what you have to offer.
- Content marketing can allow you to drive website traffic and gain customers’ trust in your business.
- Social media marketing can make it easier for you to engage with your customers and expand your reach.
- Paid search ads help you find customers who are already interested in and searching for your services.
- Email marketing allows you to nurture a list of customers who have already chosen to connect with your brand.
By carefully putting together your marketing mix, you can create a strategy to reach your customers and give them a higher understanding of your home improvement brand.
Measure Progress and Improve
As you continue your marketing efforts, you must measure their effectiveness to understand the progress of your campaign. As you analyze, you can make improvements or adjustments to your campaign. If something in your strategy isn't working, pivot your attempts and fine-tune where necessary. Marketing takes time and patience to see results. Tracking your progress as you move through that process is critical to ensuring that you can continue to reach your customers.
Are You Ready to Increase Your Home Improvement Marketing Efforts?
Mid-West Family Eau Claire is a full-service, multi-channel media partner for home improvement marketing. Let us take care of your marketing while you focus on what you do best: providing a high standard of service for all your home improvement customers.